Frequently Asked Questions

Alpha-Tech Fire answers some of the questions our clients ask.

Fire Risk Assessments

What is it a Fire Risk Assessment?

The Fire risk assessment is a detailed report of your premises which looks at 4 key areas of fire safety.

Do I need one?

The latest Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 makes this a legal requirement.

But I employ less than 5 people, I thought I was exempt?

If you have less than 5 staff you do not need to document your report, however this will make it difficult to prove the Fire Risk Assessment has been completed adequately.

Can I do a Fire Risk Assessment myself?

Yes. Provided you feel you have the relevant knowledge, skills and experience to do so.

Why use Alpha-Tech Fire to undertake a Fire Risk Assessment?

We provide you with a documented assessment. All our assessors are ex fire officers and have been carefully selected to ensure the information they provide is in keeping with the current regulations and the report is comprehensive.

Fire Safety Training

Why do I need to train my staff?

If you have fire fighting equipment on your premises you have a legal obligation to ensure staff are aware how to safely operate them.

This reduces the risk of a small fire taking hold and also the risk to employees using the extinguishers incorrectly.

What training courses are available to my staff?

The following courses are available either at your premises, or can be arranged locally when there is insufficient space.

Service and Maintainance of Equipment

Do I Need To Have My Fire Safety Equipment Maintained?

Fire Extinguishers should be serviced once per annum by a competent person. Water based and powder extinguishers require discharging every 5 years and CO2 extinguishers require discharging after 10 years, then every 5 years.

By law, Fire Alarm and Detection systems should be serviced once per annum, although British Standards recommends twice per annum.

Fire Extinguishers

Do I need them?

Yes. You have a legal obligation to protect your premises and staff from a ‘Class-A’ risk

How many do I need?

A minimum of Class-A extinguishers per floor (where floor area is greater than 100 sqm).

The British Standards recommend them as per the formula: Floor area in sqm X 0.065 then divided by the A rating of the extinguisher.

What type do I require?

That is based upon the risks at the premises, although a guide is provided in our brochure. We can advise you of the best solution for your needs following a FREE survey

Hose Reels, Dry and Wet Risers, Sprinklers and Suppression Systems

What are they?

Usually these are found to protect against a specific hazard or are required in new constructions of certain types.

Do I need one?

Probably not, unless you have been advised to in your risk assessments, or by the local fire officer.

Can you provide me with them?

Yes, if you ever need something to do with fire, just ask us, if we don’t know we will find out for you.

Do you service them?

Yes. We can service practically any item of fire safety equipment either ourselves or through our carefully selected partners.

Emergency Lighting

What are Emergency Lights for anyway?

Emergency lights are a back-up to your mains system during a loss of power, which often happens in a fire situation, they are also an essential aid to the Fire Service.

Does Emergency Lighting really need servicing?

Yes. Whilst you are expected to test your lighting on a regular basis to ensure it comes on a discharge test of the batteries should be completed annually. This test ensures they remain lit for the duration specified by the manufacturer, should they not meet this duration the batteries will be changed.

Can you Supply Emergency Lighting?

Yes. We can supply and fit either additional units or new systems where required by your risk assessment, fire officer, or building regulations.

Fire Doors and Passive Fire Protection

Do I need new Doors?

Probably not. Whilst some older fire doors do not meet current standards they may be adapted to conform should your risk assessment or Fire Officer require it. This is often a more cost effective way to meet newer standards than to change all your doors and is a method to maintain period features.

I prop my doors open, is that wrong?

Yes. Your fire doors are designed to close automatically for a reason, to prevent the spread of fire and smoke throughout the building for a specified period of time.

You like propping open your doors?

Many business require some doors to remain held open, whether during the hot summers, or to allow communication and movement between the offices.

So what can we do legally?

You have 2 options, you can wire the doors into your fire alarm so they close upon activation, which is usually expensive to retrofit and generally provided when initially fitting a fire alarm. Or ask us about a Dorgard, a simple battery powered device that fits to your door allowing you to prop the door open and releases it upon hearing the alarm.

What is passive fire protection?

This is essential the fabric of your building, fire doors, Fire retardant materials etc. These are usually a requirement for new premises or extensions, unless you have a specific request from the Risk assessment or your fire officer.

Alpha-Tech Fire are proud to put their customers' first. If you require details of any of our services please contact us by email or telephone our sales office on 0871 9518811.